I wanted to do something nice for you all before the year was over… So I give you this, just in time for your NYE celebrations: delicious vegan jello shots!
After recently finding vegan jello at Outpost Co-Op (then noticing it at Whole Foods and now Woodman’s, too…) I immediately started daydreaming of making jello with fruit in it- something I’ve had as a kid, but not since I went vegan. Then I randomly realized something- I don’t think I’ve ever had a jello shot before. And since I’m vegan, I guess I never really thought about having one either.
Now, I know I could probably get all homemade about it and make my own vegan gelatin somehow using xanthan gum, guar gum, and/or agar flakes/powder. But even if I do that, I don’t think most other people want to spend the time on it. I’ve found vegan jello at three local stores now, so just look or call around. If you really can’t find it, you can always order it online.
So, I had never made jello shots before… in fact, I’ve never made jello! I started by looking up directions online and learned that basically, you replace half of the water with alcohol. So I tried that with vodka. Disgusting. Ew. Yuck. Gross. Straight into the garbage.
I really had no interest in making jello shots ever again. I just tried to write it off in my head as something the omnivores can happily keep to themselves. Maybe the non-vegan jello tastes better with alcohol or something, I have no idea.
It wasn’t rocket science or anything, but it took some trial and error to find a combination that actually tasted good. Here is my favorite so far…..
- 1 pkg. strawberry vegan jello
- 1 cup Hawaiian punch
- 3/4 cup peach Schnapps, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vodka (or more peach Schnapps for a sweeter, weaker version), room temperature
- 12 slices of fresh strawberries
- Measure out 3/4 cup peach Schnapps and 1/4 cup vodka. Set aside.
- Boil 1 cup of Hawaiian punch in a small saucepan.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 package of strawberry vegan jello.
- Pour in the Schnapps/vodka mixture and quickly whisk again (mixture will set fast, and will set even faster with a cold liquid- so be sure it is room temp.).
- Pour into 12 shot glasses, disposable shot glasses, or condiment cups.
- Drop a strawberry slice in each jello shot.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Serve cold and store in the refrigerator.
May 14th, 2012
I can't even tell you how thankful I am for everyone's help in reaching my goal of 500[...]
May 5th, 2012
Have you ever tried serving a vegan meal for a group of non-vegans? Sunday was London's 3rd b[...]