BEST Pie Crust Recipe
As far as taste goes, this is by far the best pie crust I’ve ever had.
My dad has been using this recipe for as long as I can remember and everyone always makes such a big deal about how great his pie crust is!
Is this the healthiest pie crust in the world? …. No. And it certainly isn’t the most unhealthy pie crust in the world, either (lard…. ew). I do have healthy pie crust recipes that I will post another day. This, however, is my go-to pie crust recipe when I’m going to be sharing it and want to impress. It is dessert, after all…
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening (hydrogenated vegetable shortening will work as well, but this kind is a little healthier)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- *optional: 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp brown sugar + 2 tsp melted vegan butter
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl, then use two knives to "cut" the shortening into the dough. Do this until the dough is a nice, crumbly mixture.
- Roll the dough into two balls. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough.
- Line a pie tin with one pie crust. Fill it with pie filling of choice, then cover with the remaining pie crust and crimp the edges to hold the dough together.
- Cut slits in the top of the pie crust so air can escape when the insides begin to boil.
- If you are using the optional glaze, use a food brush to brush it over the top of the pie, including the edges.
- Use strips of tinfoil to cover the pie edges so that they don't over cook.
- Bake pie at 425 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Be sure the watch the pie towards the end so that the edges don't burn- they should be a nice golden brown.
May 18th, 2012
If you're eating vegan on a budget, then buying in bulk is a great way to save. This deal is for 7.2[...]
May 14th, 2012
I can't even tell you how thankful I am for everyone's help in reaching my goal of 500[...]
May 5th, 2012
Have you ever tried serving a vegan meal for a group of non-vegans? Sunday was London's 3rd b[...]