Cranberry-Walnut “Chik’n” Salad (& London’s 3rd Birthday Party!)
Have you ever tried serving a vegan meal for a group of non-vegans?
Sunday was London’s 3rd birthday party. Every year, we have a party for her and invite all of our friends and family. And, every year, I wonder what to serve for food. I don’t want to get too health-freak on the non-vegan guests like I might at home… so foods like my healthy no-bake peanut butter cookies are out of the question. I want to make vegan versions of common foods that are served at get-togethers; nothing too crazy that’s going to make it seem like you have to be a tree-hugging health-freak hippie in order to be vegan.
So, for her first birthday I set up a taco bar. Make-your-own tacos.
For her second birthday, I made giant sub sandwiches and cut them up like you would get from subway.. but I used lightlife vegan deli “meat.”
This year, I served this Cranberry-Walnut Chik’n Salad on whole wheat buns (okay, a little bit of health-freakiness slipped in there… lol. WW4Lyfe). Unfortunately, I forgot to add the celery. I think it’s really necessary in this recipe… so try not to leave it out like I did!
I also made:
Vegan Taco Dip served with Garden of Eatin’ Blue corn and Multi-grain tortilla chips
Classic Pasta Salad with homemade Italian Dressing
A veggie tray with Vegan Ranch Dressing
Mashed potatoes with Imagine Wild Mushroom Gravy
Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n
… and a vegan Yo Gabba Gabba cake, made by Compassionate Cake!
I had one happy little Birthday Girl! :)
Okay, okay… I know you came here for a recipe, but instead I went on and on about London and the food at her party. What can I say? My daughter & food = two of my favorite things! lol Here you go:
- 1 package of vegan "chik'n" strips (I used Morning Star brand)
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I used 1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme Plain and 1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme Guacamole)
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- Cook the vegan Chik'n strips according to the directions on the package. I heated them in the microwave and over-cooked them slightly to give them more of a chewy texture.
- Shred the strips into smaller pieces and put them in a large bowl. Mix in the celery, cranberries, and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan sour cream, parsley, garlic powder, and white pepper.
- Stir the sour cream mixture into the Chik'n mixture. Serve cold on bread or buns.
2 Responses to Cranberry-Walnut “Chik’n” Salad (& London’s 3rd Birthday Party!)
May 18th, 2012
If you're eating vegan on a budget, then buying in bulk is a great way to save. This deal is for 7.2[...]
May 14th, 2012
I can't even tell you how thankful I am for everyone's help in reaching my goal of 500[...]