Facon “Bacon”-Wrapped Jalapeños
Introducing….. the best vegan appetizer EVER.
These are perfect for serving to vegan-skeptical guests!
I got this idea from my dad… he’s made these for me on several occasions. Lucky me.
The only thing I changed is that he just used cream cheese for the filling. I added the dairy-free milk to make the cream cheese “fluffier” instead of just thick cream cheese that gets stuck to the top of your mouth- know what I mean? I also added the chives, onion powder, and garlic powder just to add a little extra flavor. You could certainly use only cream cheese and they still taste great!
Seriously….. go make these now!
You’ll thank me for the peer pressure later.
Make sure you have people around to help you eat them though, or you’ll end up eating all of them yourself. Guaranteed.
- 8 jalapeños
- 16 pieces of vegan bacon (I used Smart Bacon)
- 1/3 cup cheddar Daiya
- 6 tbsp vegan cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 1 tbsp dairy-free milk (I used Unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk)
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off the top (stem) of the jalapeños, then slice the jalapeños in half and take the seeds out.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric hand mixer to mix together the vegan cream cheese, dairy-free milk, chives, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto each of the jalapeño halves and place them onto a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the jalapeños with cheddar Daiya.
- If frozen, defrost the vegan bacon in the microwave. Wrap one "bacon" slice around each jalapeño and secure it in place with a toothpick.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until the "bacon" is crispy). Serve hot.
May 18th, 2012
If you're eating vegan on a budget, then buying in bulk is a great way to save. This deal is for 7.2[...]
May 14th, 2012
I can't even tell you how thankful I am for everyone's help in reaching my goal of 500[...]
May 5th, 2012
Have you ever tried serving a vegan meal for a group of non-vegans? Sunday was London's 3rd b[...]