Strawberries and rhubarb are in season… which makes this pretty much the best time of year.
Once you try this recipe, you will never try another. There will be no reason to ever try another recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie again- this one is the best!
My dad has been making this my whole life. And his Grandma made this recipe before that…
You’re going to want to make more than one of these. They freeze wonderfully and you’ll want to try to keep one on hand for when you have guests. I imagine you’ll become sort of famous to your friends and family when they try this pie… well, my dad has anyway. He’s known for having a few of the best recipes: his potato salad, lasagna, and this pie. And lucky for me, this Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie is accidentally vegan!
If I were able to hand out a sample of this vegan strawberry-rhubarb pie to one million people today, I’d have at least one million new blog readers by tomorrow.
That’s not exactly possible for me though, so you’ll just have to take my word for it. ;)
- 2 pie crusts (I highly recommend my BEST Pie Crust Recipe for this pie- it is much better than store-bought crust. If you really need to save some time though, many of the pre-made pie crusts are vegan, just be sure to get the refrigerated, uncooked dough.)
- 2 heaping cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced (can substitute this with more rhubarb for just a rhubarb pie, blueberries, or a mixture of berries)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- *optional: 20 drops of orange-flavored stevia OR orange zest, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a pie tin with one pie crust.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, and orange flavor if you are using it.
- Put half of the strawberries and half of the rhubarb into your pie.
- Sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture.
- Add the remaining strawberries and rhubarb to the pie, then sprinkle with the rest of the sugar mixture.
- Put your remaining pie crust on top of the pie, and crimp the edges to hold it together.
- Cut slits in the top of the pie to allow air to escape while it's cooking.
- If you are using my BEST Pie Crust Recipe, I like to add the brown sugar glaze that I recommend in that recipe.
- Use strips of tinfoil to cover the pie edges so that they don't over cook.
- Bake pie for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Be sure the watch the pie towards the end so that the edges don't burn- they should be a nice golden brown.
4 Responses to Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
May 18th, 2012
If you're eating vegan on a budget, then buying in bulk is a great way to save. This deal is for 7.2[...]
May 14th, 2012
I can't even tell you how thankful I am for everyone's help in reaching my goal of 500[...]
May 5th, 2012
Have you ever tried serving a vegan meal for a group of non-vegans? Sunday was London's 3rd b[...]