Stuffed Rainbow Peppers
Have you ever heard the saying.. “eat a rainbow”?
It means that different colored foods have different nutrients… so you should eat a “rainbow” of foods every day to stay healthy.
Instead of just making stuffed green bell peppers, try using a variety of colors for this recipe.
Did you know there is such a thing as purple bell peppers?!?
I didn’t know that purple bell peppers existed until about a year ago! Last summer, I grew rainbow bell peppers in a pot on my front porch. Specifically because I wanted purple bell peppers and I couldn’t find them in the stores.
They’re pretty easy to grow, too. You should try it!
If you’re trying to incorporate more raw foods into your diet, you can just cook the filling and stuff the raw bell peppers! It will save you some time, too. I love raw bell peppers. <3
This recipe makes twelve stuffed peppers. You can freeze the leftovers so they last longer for a quick meal when you don’t have time to cook!
- 12 bell peppers, assorted colors
- 2 (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce
- 1 lb veggie crumbles (such as Boca Crumbles)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- *optional: Daiya mozzarella to sprinkle on top
- *optional: 1/2 tsp garlic salt (or salt to taste)
- *optional: 1-3 jalapeños, diced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut the tops off of each bell pepper. Take the stems out of the tops. Dice the remaining pieces of the bell pepper tops, then put aside to use in the filling.
- Clean out all seeds from the insides of the bell peppers.
- Boil the bell peppers for 5 minutes (you may have to do this in a few batches because they probably won't all fit at the same time).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms, leftover bell pepper pieces (from the tops you cut off), and jalapeños (if you are using them) over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add to the onion mixture: tomato, tomato sauce, veggie crumbles, rice, oregano, and basil. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place bell peppers right side up in a large pan (I use a lasagna pan for this and they fit perfectly). Fill all of the the peppers with the rice mixture. Top each one with vegan mozzarella then cover with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Serve warm and store leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer.
One Response to Stuffed Rainbow Peppers
May 18th, 2012
If you're eating vegan on a budget, then buying in bulk is a great way to save. This deal is for 7.2[...]
May 14th, 2012
I can't even tell you how thankful I am for everyone's help in reaching my goal of 500[...]
May 5th, 2012
Have you ever tried serving a vegan meal for a group of non-vegans? Sunday was London's 3rd b[...]